Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

| September 16, 2019

Scroll to top

Top

Rigth now get betting bonus from bookmakers
No Comments

NHF/NBF: Key changes for hair, beauty and barbershops during April 2019

NHF/NBF: Key changes for hair, beauty and barbershops during April 2019
Sam Robinson

During April 2019, changes to the National Minimum Wage, tax, pensions, payslips apprenticeship fees, maternity/paternity pay and sick pay will affect hair salons, barbershops and beauty salons up and down the country. The NHF/NBF provides a roundup of the key changes:

National Minimum Wage

National Minimum Wage and National Living Wage rates will rise from 1 April 2019:

From April 2019

NATIONAL LIVING WAGE (OVER 25s)= £8.21 PH
AGE 21 – 24 = £7.70 PH
AGE 18 – 20 = £6.15 PH
AGE 16 – 17 = £4.35 PH
*APPRENTICES = £3.90 PH

*An apprentice over the age of 19 who is in the second year of their apprenticeship must be paid the age-appropriate NMW/NLW. Find out more about NMW/NLW here. 

Making Tax Digital

Salon and barbershop businesses that are VAT registered will have to keep their VAT business records digitally and send in VAT returns using Making Tax Digital (MTD) compatible software from 1 April 2019. This also applies for those using the VAT Flat Rate Scheme.
Find out more about Making Tax Digital here or find MTD-compatible software here.

Pension contributions

From 6 April 2019, the total minimum contributions employers and employees must pay into a workplace pensions scheme will increase from 5% to 8%. Employers must make a minimum contribution of 3% and employees must make a minimum contribution of 5%. Employers can choose to pay more and reduce the amount their staff need to pay, as long as the total contributions still come to 8%. Find out more about it here.

Payslips

The law regarding payslips is changing from 6 April 2019 and will mean that itemised payslips will now need to be given to all employees. Payslips must include the total number of hours worked or a breakdown of hours paid for different types of work and/or different rates of pay. Find out more here.

24/7 Helpline

Hilary Hall, NHF/NBF chief executive said: “Making these changes in the run-up to April will be a very busy time for salon owners. That’s why our free 24/7 helpline is so valuable to NHF/NBF Members. Not only does the helpline provide practical advice on employing and managing people, there’s also advice on payroll, tax and VAT, all available at the end of the phone.”

Statutory Maternity, Adoption, Paternity and Shared Parental Pay are all set to rise from April 2019. Statutory Sick Pay is also rising. Find out more here.