HJ’s British Hairdressing Awards: All The Winners!
Sally Brooks, of Brooks & Brooks hair salon in London, collected the title of British Hairdresser of the Year for the second year running, at last night’s (26th November) HJ’s British Hairdressing Awards 2018, sponsored by Schwarzkopf Professional.
Wowed The Judges
The hairdresser, who is best known for creating wearable, desirable and technically exceptional hair, beat off competition from six other British nominees, having wowed the judges with her collection of eight images, perfect in their simplicity and execution.
Making Hair Commercial
Commenting on her second win in two years, Jayne Lewis Orr, executive director of the British Hairdressing Awards said, “Sally’s work is always a joy – she creates the most wonderful images that look effortless but take incredible skill to execute. She understands how to make hair commercial, relatable and above all else, utterly desirable. “For the past 34 years the British Hairdressing Awards have celebrated the very best talent, creativity and insight within our industry – and this year is no exception. I’d like to extend my warmest congratulations to all the winners for demonstrating fantastic technical dexterity as evidenced in the collections they submitted, and also for being such great ambassador for British hairdressing.”
About The Event
Sally collected her title in front 1,750 hairdressing greats, alongside host and TV celebrity, Rylan Clark-Neal. The event, which took place on Monday 26th November at the Grosvenor House Hotel in London, saw guests celebrating into the early hours entertained by Scouting for Girls.
A Word From Sally
Speaking of her win, Sally said, “It’s amazing to win British Hairdresser of the Year two years in a row, and I’m delighted that everyone loved the collection as much as I did. It’s a very special award and a night to remember!” Following her nomination in May, Sally was required to submit eight images of original hair work which were judged and awarded points for overall technical skill, creative vision and wearable, beautiful looks that pushed the boundaries of hair art. The judging took place in Epsom and included a panel of industry peers, members of the British beauty press and past winners of the British Hairdressing Awards.
And The Winners Are…
Sally was awarded her prize on the night alongside 19 of her peers, who were presented with their titles for their artistic ability, technical dexterity and creative talent, including:
• Michelle Thompson, Francesco Group, Birmingham – Afro Hairdresser of the Year 2018
• Marc Antoni, Henley-on-Thames – Artistic Team of the Year 2018
• Sylvestre Finold, TONI&GUY, Wimbledon – Avant Garde Hairdresser of the Year 2018
• Desmond Murray, Atherton Cox, London – Men’s Hairdresser of the Year 2018
• Gianluca Caruso, TONI&GUY, London – Newcomer of the Year 2018
• Robert Eaton, Russell Eaton, Leeds – Schwarzkopf Professional British Colour Technician of the Year 2018
• Jessica Neil and Mary Geoghegan, KH Hair, Nottingham – Eastern Hairdresser of the Year 2018
• Philipp Haug, TONI&GUY, Sloan Square – London Hairdresser of the Year 2018
• Nicola Smyth, Nicola Smyth – Award Winning Hair, Leamington Spa – Midlands Hairdresser of the Year 2018
• Isobel Eaton and Jesse Jackson, Russell Eaton, Barnsley – North Eastern Hairdresser of the Year 2018
• Marcello Moccia and Karen Perry, Room97 Creative Hairdressing, Wakefield – North Western Hairdresser of the Year 2018
• Damien Johnston, Pure Hair, Belfast – Northern Ireland Hairdresser of the Year 2018
• Karen Thomson, KAM Hair & Body Spa, Lossiemouth – Scottish Hairdresser of the Year 2018
• Robert Masciave, Metropolis Hairdressing, Kingston Upon Thames – Southern Hairdresser of the Year 2018
• Steven Smart, Smartest 73, Weston-Super-Mare – Wales & South West Hairdresser of the Year 2018.
About The Awards
The British Hairdressing Awards, sponsored by Schwarzkopf Professional, celebrates the very best of British hairdressing – recognising and rewarding the creative talents of individuals and teams who make this industry. Currently over 287,000 people work within the hairdressing, barbering and beauty industries; contributing over £7bn to the UK economy each year*.
An Enormous Privilege
“Sponsoring HJ’s British Hairdressing Awards is an enormous privilege, and we at Schwarzkopf Professional are delighted that we can partner with HJ in supporting and recognising the very best hairdressing talent across the UK. Hairdressing is an industry of endless enthusiasm and creativity and nowhere is this more evident than in the entries for these awards. I am absolutely delighted for the winners as they represent the pinnacle of our industry – the absolute best.” says Stuart Hamid, Schwarzkopf Professional General Manager, UK and Ireland.
The British Hairdressing Awards have launched the careers of a host of household names: from John Freida and Nicky Clarke to TONI&GUY creative director Sacha Mascolo-Tarbuck, as well as TV favourites Lisa Shepherd and Andrew Barton.